There are many contributing factors to discoloration or staining of teeth, some of which can be prevented or treated with proper care. While stained teeth can be due to genetics or aging, it is often caused by diet, hygiene, and other lifestyle choices.
Some of the most common causes of teeth discoloration are as follows:
- Poor Dental Hygiene – Lack of brushing and flossing on a daily basis using proper brushing techniques and ADA approved toothpaste in addition to lack of regular visits with your dental professional.
- Diet – Certain foods and drinks will stain your teeth such as coffee, tea, and soda. A good rule of thumb to follow is that if it will stain a white shirt, it can stain your teeth.
- Genetics – Some people are born with and are more susceptible to having darker, stained teeth.
- Drug Induced – Antihistamines, antipsychotic drugs, drugs for high blood pressure, and some antibiotics can cause teeth discoloration.
- Trauma Induced – Just like a bruise causes discoloration on your body, dental trauma can turn teeth gray due to a lack of blood flow.
- Smoking – Frequent smoking can often cause black stains to develop on your teeth due to decay.
- Aging – As we age, the white outer enamel of the tooth begins to thin leading to a discoloration as dentin is revealed.
If you have begun to notice discoloration or staining on your teeth, or want to prevent this from happening in the future, here are some steps you can take:
- Make sure to have proper dental hygiene including brushing, flossing, and visiting your dental professional regularly.
- You can have your teeth whitened.
- You can have composite or porcelain coverings, called veneers, made to be placed over your teeth fixing many flaws that can’t be corrected by a whitening procedure.
As always, we recommend contacting your dental professional if you have any additional questions regarding stained teeth, causes, and treatment. If you would like to set up a consultation with Dr. Festa please visit our appointments page or contact the office at 919-847-3899!